Thursday, April 5, 2012

Staying in bed all day is not an effective way to deal with stress




I don’t think I could ever be a druggie. It seems like people often use drugs (or alcohol) as an escape from their problems. While I do see the benefits of occasionally drowning my sorrows with some rum, drugs have too many crazy side-effects. I prefer to simply fall asleep and let my brain create an alternate reality, one where my only problem is how to kill all these bad guys with my sweet spy skillz. I don’t have to worry about getting a job, paying my rent, cooking my meals, dealing with boys or finding time for friends.

Sleep is the best escape. Ever.

When I wake up, my bed becomes this special sacred place where my problems can’t touch me. I mean, I definitely DO think about them, but in a detached kind of way. Hmm, I should probably deal with x issue. Later.

As soon as my toes touch the floor, though, “x issue” becomes “X ISSUE” – and I freak out. Wow, I need to deal with this *now*!

Obviously, this reaction does not drive me to leap out of bed in the morning. Which is why I spent far too long yesterday curled up with my down comforter. Sadly, like any method of procrastination, hiding from my problems does not actually solve them. Eventually, my toes will touch the floor and I’ll have to accept that I need to grow up.

Aw, crap. I hate being an adult.

Note: I’ve touched on this before, but “being an adult” does not mean you can NEVER hide under a blanket. 

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I always get a kick out of these Aftan. I find that I have the reverse problem of you. I never see things as problems(most of the time). Perhaps this is because of my relaxed mentality, or more likely it is the fact that I have realized stressing over issues does not help resolve them (much like trying to avoid them). Trying to enjoy the little things helps, but I do sympathize with the whole 'omg life is overwhelming' situation. At times like that the best advice I can offer is this : Remember what you have (aka count your blessings). This always seems to calm my nerves. Friends, family, or even more importantly your sense of self. Many times I think "What would x y z person do." Then I shake my head and realize that doesn't particularly matter, because I am me. The only thing that matters is what I do. What YOU do. So when all is said and done, and you awaken from your dreams remember this; You have friends who support you, family who loves you, and a hoe that will always be glad to share a cinnabon with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all great advice, Ty. You're right - I do need to remember to count my blessings. And you're definitely in the "supportive friends" category, thanks for being awesome. :)

    PS: yay for cinnabons!

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I'd love to have your feedback, so if you liked it, loved it, hated it, I want to know. Actually, if you hated it then don't bother. If you have to publish your comment as "Anonymous", please just type your name at the end of your message. Cheers!